Deaf Awareness Training
With the support of the Australian Hearing Hub, the Deaf Society is running a Deaf Awareness Training (DAT) course
Event: Deaf Awareness Training
Date: Monday 21 September 2020
Time: 1:00pm – 2:00pm
Location: A Zoom link will be forward to registered attendees 24 hours before the event.
Registration: Spaces are limited, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to secure a spot.
This event is only open to AHH member staff and students
- Learn how to communicate with deaf and hard of hearing people in culturally appropriate ways, using their preferred visual communication style.
- Demonstrate culturally appropriate ways of interacting (inc. eye contact, turn taking, gaining attention).
- Begin learning and building a visual vocabulary related to daily life.
- Engage in simple exchanges in Auslan or other visual communication means, including giving and following simple instructions.
Some of the areas covered in this training:
- What are the differences between deaf and hard of hearing people?
- What are the different communication methods used by deaf people?
- What is Auslan (Australian Sign Language)?