The Shepherd Centre is thrilled to share the incredible highlights from the Alumni Achiever Awards 2023, held on Saturday, 17 June! The awards are designed to recognise alumni and graduates of The Shepherd Centre and Hear For You as well as those who have contributed to the success of its programs.
Dr Aleisha Davis, CEO at The Shepherd Centre says, “We are thrilled to welcome back the Alumni Achiever Awards and showcase the efforts of our finalists, who are all amazing in their own right. The awards are a momentous occasion where we come together to celebrate our remarkable community. It is a time to honour their unique journeys and recognise their incredible progress.”
The awards celebrate the exceptional achievements of alumni and supporters through categories including:
- The Dr Bruce & Annette Shepherd Oration Award
- Award for Advocacy and Support: This award recognises the special efforts of an individual, group or organisation who have gone above and beyond to advocate for The Shepherd Centre/Hear For You and/or its graduates.
- Voice of the Future Award: This award recognises a young Alumnus (aged between 12 and 25 years old) who has shown strong leadership skills. They have actively made a difference in their school, workplace or within their community and beyond.
- Champion of Ability Award: This award recognises the accomplishments and contributions of an Alumnus whose incredible efforts to both publicly and privately advocate for themselves and other Cochlear Implant recipients have made an impact in their community. They will have used their own journey to empower others with hearing loss and dedicated their time to educate and assist both their hearing and non-hearing peers.
- The Award for Excellence: This award celebrates an Alumnus who has excelled in their chosen field, whether that be technology, design, creativity, research or sport. They have achieved above and beyond their peers.
- The Outstanding Junior Award: This award recognises a young alumnus (aged between 6 and 12 years old) who is already impressing their classmates, teachers and parents. They are excelling above their classmates in sport, science, music or public speaking – it can be any field they are passionate about.
- People’s Choice Award
Congratulations to each and every one of the extraordinary winners:
- Dr Bruce & Annette Shepherd Oration Award: Shannon Fox
- The Award for Advocacy and Support: Sally Coles & Family
- Voice of the Future Award: Saskia Newman
- Champion of Ability Award: Julia Gilchrist
- Hearing Australia Award for Excellence: Henry Hughes
- The Outstanding Junior Award: Erine Kim
- People’s Choice Award: Amelia Kroehnert
The judging process was undoubtedly difficult, as each candidate showcased remarkable accomplishments. Explore their inspiring journeys, here.
Their incredible stories of dedication, perseverance, and passion have touched our hearts and continue to inspire us all.